The Estes Valley Public Library’s Youth Services Department offers Discovery Packs for circulation. Discovery Packs are theme-based, developmentally appropriate kits that help develop and encourage literacy skills. They are designed to be used as an interactive activity with parents who have preschool or elementary school children.
The thematic packs may include picture books, music CDs, DVDs, puppets or other realia, manipulatives, games or toys to extend learning activities. Some of the library’s themed packs include: Insects, Ice Cream, Bye-Bye Diapers, Africa, Fish, Dinosaurs, Little Red Riding Hood, Three Billy Goats Gruff, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Bedtime, Audubon Backyard Birds, Audubon Birds of Prey, and more.
The environment parents create at home plays a vital role in the development of a child’s learning. Children who are read to, talked to and exposed to enriching family activities are more likely to succeed in school. Discovery Packs are filled with surefire books to read-aloud and a variety of materials to enhance a young child’s learning experience.
The library will still circulate toys as part of their Discovery Packs. When making toy selections our Youth Librarians choose toys appropriate for a child’s age, skills, and specific interests. Some toys help develop coordination and improve small and large motor skills. Some stimulate self-expression and the imagination and some of our educational toys help develop thinking and reinforce learning skills. The library’s Discovery Packs are geared for preschool to fifth grade children.
It is through play that children learn about their world and the things in it. Play allows children the chance to explore their environment, to learn how it works and how they relate to it. Children and their parents will benefit from easy access to the motivational and educational activities provided by Discovery Packs. Come to the library to check one out today!
- To check out a Discovery Pack the library member must be an adult library district card holder.
- A user responsibility form must be filled out the first time a Discovery Pack is borrowed by a member.
- One Discovery Pack per child may be checked out at one time.
- Discovery Packs will be checked out for one week.
- Return the Discovery Pack directly to the Main Service Desk before checking out another one.
- The Discovery Pack Book is available for review in the Children’s Room and Packs may be selected by number. Look for age appropriate items.
- Discovery Packs are kept in numbered bags in locked cabinets in the Children’s Room. Please ask at the Main Service Desk for the key to unlock the cabinets.
- Check Discovery Packs out at the Main Service Desk.
- Please keep track of the items in bags at home to ensure that the bags are returned with all the parts. Unresolved missing pieces will result in charges on the member’s library account and the suspension of lending privileges until the charge is paid.
- The cost of broken pieces beyond normal wear and tear will be the responsibility of the member.